Anita’s coaching enabled me to to maintain a position of strength and objectivity through very demanding relational challenges and strategic processes.
Pauline T., Executive Director
The continuous development of personal mastery is the foundation for Anita’s coaching practice and learning philosophy
Anita holds certification in Executive Coaching through the graduate program at Royal Roads University, in Career Facilitation from Okanagan University College and in both True Colors and Personality Dimensions assessments…and values her informal learning equally.
With 14 years at the head of her Coaching/Consulting business, Essentials for Excellence, Anita brings experience from the performing arts, government, health care, colleges, small business, and career development. She has enjoyed a history of success as an entrepreneur in retail as well as in large corporations and colleges. Her background is rounded out with an Erma Bombeck style “Doctorate in Life”, awarded through a long term marriage yielding three wonderfully patient and forgiving adult children! This “doctorate” includes specialization in laughter, sorrow, love and deep reflective learning.
As a life-long learner, Anita combines other diverse interests and studies with an intense curiosity and a deep respect for people and balances it all with refreshing levity and humour. Creating a safe and open environment for unguarded and spontaneous communication, Anita has become highly skilled at aligning people’s talents and deeply held values with systems and processes.
With determination, commitment and enthusiasm, Anita is devoted to assisting people to know their purpose, see their vision, and stretch beyond, to achieve excellence both personally and professionally. She is committed to living authentically and in balance (whatever that is!) through the pursuits of her passion for cultural studies, music, reading, exercise, skiing (and attempting to golf!)…and becoming a “youthful new elder” in an exciting time of change.
- Grew up as a “tomboy in a tutu”…preferred climbing trees, hanging out at the farm, dismantling cars and electronics and then donned my tutu for ballet lessons (with dirt marks on my cheeks!)
- Had a brush with death at 5 years old with carbon monoxide poisoning…an early recognition of the value of this wonderful life!
- Eat almost anything…my father brought home chocolate covered bees and smoked grasshoppers – and yes, I ate them!
- Play guitar – self-taught and not that good at it, but brings joy and satisfaction
- Sing with a chorus and a small group…one of my favourite sayings “I don’t sing because I’m happy, I’m happy because I sing!”
- Caesar salad still tops my favourite foods list
- I don’t love sweets…prefer salty and savoury
- Love travelling…China tops my favourite list
- Had a UFO siting when I was 12 years old – and I had witnesses! Still have never figured out what it could have been, and love the “possibilities” it conjures up!
- Downhill skiing helps me love winter
- Golfing makes me love spring, summer and fall… and is both frustrating and rewarding. A great metaphor for life!
- Attended open heart surgery in the OR at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton for the purpose of studying “teamwork”
- Love white water rafting with my brother in the wild Alberta rivers
- Have the privilege of close friendships with my now adult children – all three of them
- Enjoy being a Grandmother – what a new and beautiful relationship that is!
- Have an unreasonable fear of spiders and snakes…or maybe it isn’t unreasonable given the size of the spiders here!
- Worked on a project at Toronto’s North York Hospital (Canada’s SARS hospital) one year after the breakout and heard the stories from employees who contracted SARS
- Learning to carve soapstone, unleashing the hidden artist within!
- Enjoy red wine (and white on a hot sunny day after golf!) and appreciate our beautiful Okanagan wines
- Have never been able to waterski no matter how hard I try!
- Love sail boats and windsurfing
- Team development coaching
- Communication and conflict
- MBTI (Myers Briggs)
- True Colors
- Personality Dimensions
- Coursework in Emotional Intelligence for Career Facilitators
- Myers Briggs (MBTI) workshops
- Communication and Conflict Management
- Team Development
- Certified Career Facilitator